Back to Family Tree Home Page
Ogle - Rev. John Ambrose
SEDGEFORD, a parish and scattered village, in the vale of a small rivulet, between Heacham and Docking, 13 miles N.N.E. of Lynn, is in Docking union, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £4708, and had 779 inhabitants in 1881, living on 4180 acres of land, of which 1300 acres, with the manor and great tithes, commuted at £385, belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Here was anciently a hamlet called Gnatyngdon, or Nettington, held by Godwin Halden, one of the few Saxons who was allowed by the Norman conqueror to keep his land. It is now known as Eaton. The CHURCH (St. Mary the Virgin) is a fine building of much architectural beauty. It consists of a round tower, with octagon crown, containing three bells; a lofty nave with massive arcades in fine preservation; a spacious clerestory; north and south aisles and porches; south transept and chancel. It has lately undergone careful restoration under the direction of F. Preedy., Esq. and E. Christian, Esq., architects, at a cost of about £2300. The basin of the font is solid Purbeck marble. The remains of a fine painting of St. Christopher, with curious legend, and other mural decorations of early date, are still visible. There is a fine organ by W. Mack, of Yarmouth, and three fine painted windows to the memory of Charles Neville-Rolfe and Martha his wife. The Register dates from 1560. The vicarage, which was valued in K.B. at £8, was consolidated with the rectory of Southmere in 1874; the rent-charge in lieu of tithes are vicarage of Sedgeford £330, rectory of Southmere £320, total £650; the patronage is in the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and Eton College alternately, and the incumbency is held by the Rev. John Ambrose Ogle, M.A., who has 7½ acres of glebe and a handsome residence.
(White's Directory 1883)
See http://Pellew/Exmouth for details.
Descendants of Rev. John Ambrose Ogle